Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Final Fantasy Football

I've been "playing" fantasy football from the beginning of the season, though the drafting of players was automated, so I really had no choice on my initial selections of players - thus removing most of the 'fantasy' element. They do allow you to trade for undrafted players, which I have done to decent effect, leading my team to an undefeated record and a first place ranking so far. Anyway, I was talking to my girlfriend's roommate about it the other day, and he brought up the fact that it changes your perception of the game. You only really care about one or two players in each game, so you end up concentrating on them and sort of missing the rest of the game. But being that I never really cared much about the games that didn't involve the 49ers or the Bears, I consider raising any interest in the other games an improvement. Also, the fantasy football season ends before the playoffs, so you are able to enjoy the end of the season undistracted. I personally think it's a good thing for the league to generate real interest in games that people, definitely myself anyway, would not have much desire to watch otherwise, and also gives you something to cheer for. It is quite addicting, however, almost to the point of obsession when you get into it, so you kind of have to watch yourself unless you really want to get immersed in the world of professional football teams, players, stats and matchups. So have fun, but be careful kids. I'm Dan, and I approve Fantasy Football.

No comments: